This Website domain,
Members of the Bowdoin College community are also subject to
1. BOWDOIN COLLEGE'S COMMITMENT TO PRIVACY
The privacy of visitors to our Web sites is very important to Bowdoin College. The College has adopted this policy to inform visitors about the College's data collection practices — both when a visitor voluntarily enters and transmits information to the College and when data are collected automatically by systems used by the College.
2. INFORMATION BOWDOIN COLLEGE COLLECTS FROM
Bowdoin collects personally identifiable information at various points on College Web sites/pages. Personally identifiable information (PII)
Information that is not PII is often referred to as "aggregate information." This includes a user's Internet Protocol (IP) address,
Bowdoin College automatically collects and/or tracks the following information from visitors or individuals who communicate with College community users via e-mail:
- e-mail address;
- home server domain name and IP address;
- information knowingly provided by visitors by using online registration forms, e-mail, and surveys; and
- information regarding where, when, and how often a visitor visits College Web sites/pages.
In addition, when a visitor uses Bowdoin College's search engine, College systems may record information about the search. This information is collected and analyzed by authorized system administrators to:
- evaluate Web site navigation and accessibility;
- verify the accuracy and relevance of searches;
- solve technical issues;
- calculate usage statistics; and/or
- other uses approved by the Chief Information Officer (CIO)
3. USE OF INTERNET "COOKIES" BY BOWDOIN COLLEGE
Bowdoin College may place Internet "cookies" on a visitor's computer. Cookies are files inserted automatically on the hard drive of a Web site visitor by the Web site visited. Cookies placed by the College generally do not contain PII. However, the College reserves the right to associate PII with cookies at any time.
Most browser software allows users to make choices on how cookies are set by Web sites. This includes the ability to disable cookies. User preferences also allow
4. THE WAY BOWDOIN COLLEGE USES INFORMATION COLLECTED
Information collected by Bowdoin College "PII and/or aggregate data" may be used by Bowdoin College for:
- educational and/or research purposes;
- editorial and feedback purposes;
- promotional and recruiting purposes, including soliciting financial contributions and contacting prospective students;
- statistical analysis of a visitor's online behavior for
- analysis of the number of Web site/page "hits;" and
Web site/page content and layout customization.
Names, postal and e-mail addresses, and phone numbers provided by visitors via online forms may
This policy provides a baseline standard; departmental privacy policies may enforce standards that are more rigorous. Some Bowdoin College departments, the College Library and the Office of Student Records
5. DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL DATA TO THIRD PARTIES
Bowdoin College occasionally retains the services of third parties to process information, financial transactions, or other purposes approved by members of Bowdoin's senior management. The College may also, on a very limited basis, share, rent,
Before providing PII to a third party, Bowdoin College will obtain a non-disclosure and confidentiality agreement from the third party. Aggregate information and/or information that is publicly available is not subject to such agreements.
6. BOWDOIN'S COMMITMENT TO DATA SECURITY
To restrict unauthorized access and to enhance data integrity and accuracy, Bowdoin College implements physical, electronic, and administrative security policies and procedures intended to safeguard information the College collects and/or stores online. However, the College cannot assure or warrant absolute effectiveness of the security measures implemented by the College.
A separate policy the College's Data Security Policy — is an important component of the College's comprehensive Information Systems Security Policy.
7. BOWDOIN'S COMMITMENT TO CHILDREN'S PRIVACY
In most cases, Bowdoin College neither collects nor attempts to collect PII from children known to be under the age of thirteen (13). However, Bowdoin College cannot always determine if a visitor is a child. In general, the subject matter provided on the College's Web site(s) is not directed toward children under the age of thirteen (13).
8. BOWDOIN COLLEGE'S RIGHT TO CONTACT
Bowdoin College reserves the right to contact
9. BOWDOIN'S RIGHT TO CHANGE THIS POLICY
Bowdoin College reserves the right to change this policy at any time. Visitors will not be notified of any changes made to this policy. The version of this policy in effect will be posted on our Information
10. HOW TO CONTACT BOWDOIN COLLEGE REGARDING THIS POLICY
Questions concerning this policy should be directed, in writing, to:
- Chief Information Officer
- Information & Technology Bowdoin College
- 9600 College Station Brunswick, ME 04011-8496