PolarPrint is powered by Pharos Systems. Most of the following steps involve investigating the Pharos software directly.
Troubleshooting Pharos Driver and Release Station Issues
If you don’t see a Pharos Popup or Notify message after sending a print job to a public printer on a Mac OS X computer:
- Pharos requires two services to be running on your Mac. You can check to see if they are running by using the Activity Monitor (Applications-->Utilities-->Activity Monitor) to make sure both Popup and Notify are in the list. If you don’t see them:
- Make sure you have installed Pharos Notify in addition to the printer package.
- Reboot your computer to restart the services.
- Check System Preferences > Security > Firewall and make sure "Allow all incoming connections" is selected. (Port 515 and 28203 must be open in order for Pharos to work)
- Pharos does not support the Fast User Switching on Mac OS X. Make sure Fast User Switching is disabled by: Clicking on Apple-->System Preferences-->Accounts. Choose “Login Options” at the bottom & Uncheck Fast User Switching.
- If you get a message when printing saying you need to run software update to install the latest drivers, run software updates (Apple-->Software Update)
If you don't see a Pharos Popup or Notify message after sending a print job to a public printer on a Windows computer:
- Windows 7 has not been experiencing any major Pharos issues. If you are experiencing an issue please contact ITSS at 721-5050, firstname.lastname@example.org, or come see us on the 2nd floor of Coles Tower.
- Windows 8 users will not see the final notification screen. This is due to the way Microsoft implemented their new User Interface. Your print job will still be sent to a release station. If you need to know the cost of the print job before printing, highlight it on the screen and the cost will be displayed in the lower-left corner.
Please contact OneCard if you receive this error. Bowdoin has adopted an "allocation, then charge" model for printing and copying. This error usually occurs if all allocated prints have been used up and there are not enough funds in your OneCard account. See information about student printing allocations
"Unable to Contact PharosEDI"
Re-swiping your ID card usually corrects the issue. This error occurs because the release station lost connection to the server while in sleep mode.
If you are still experiencing additional Pharos issues please contact ITSS at 721-5050, email us at email@example.com, or come see us on the 2nd floor of the Coles Tower.
- Document author:
- Sherry Saxida
- Last modified:
- Aug 23, 2013