MobilEcho is an application that provides a secure way for iPads to connect to Bowdoin's network file services (Microwave). In MobilEcho you can open files from the Microwave, create new folders, search for files and save files back to the Microwave from other applications. You can also annotate PDF files or edit Word and Excel files.
Getting Access to Mobile Echo
The Mobile Echo Interface
Working with Files
Working with Multiple Files
Opening and Editing Excel, Word and PowerPoint Files in the "Smart Office" editor
Sending Files from Other Applications on your iPad to the Microwave
1. You will be sent an email with directions for setting up and installing Mobile Echo along with your 1 time passcode. Contact the IT Help Desk to request access.
2. Download the MobilEcho application from the Appstore.
3. Use the settings you receive in the Mobile Echo invitation email to configure the MobilEcho app to connect to the Microwave. (If you are off campus you must be connected to the VPN).
When opening a file you can preview the file within MobilEcho.
Renaming a file.
Copying or Moving a file
Deleting a file
When moving or copying files they will first appear in the clipboard. The clipboard allows you to select the item(s) you'd like to copy or move, and then navigate to the the folder on Microwave and paste them in that folder. Tap the clipboard icon to see the clipboard.
NOTE: The mobilEcho client application clipboard works like a computer clipboard. If you copy files with the clipboard and have not get pasted them, then you select another see of files and copy them with the clipboard, the previously copied files will be cleared and replaced with the new file(s). No files are actually copied or moved unless you choose to paste them.
Make sure you have the most recent version of Mobile Echo. Check the App Store to see if there are any updates listed under "Updates" for Mobile Echo.
Tap on a Word, Excel or Powerpoint file from the Microwave in Mobile Echo.
Tap on Edit from the action menu. Your file will open in the Smart Office editor. Double-tap on some text to open the menu for text formatting. From there you can:
To insert an image, tap the Add button and select Image. A popup appears showing your available folders containing images. Tap on the desired image. You can also add Shapes, but only to PowerPoint presentations.
Save your changes by tapping on the File button. Tap on the Save button. Choose Overwrite Original File or Rename and Save depending on your preference.
The mobilEcho application allows files from other iPad applications (Goodreader, Documents to Go, iAnnotate) to be sent to mobilEcho. This is done using the "Open In" feature of those applications.
1. When you open a file in mobilEcho from another application, the file first goes into mobilEcho’s File Inbox.
2. Tap the File Inbox.
3. Tap the file you want to put on the Microwave.
4. Choose Copy with Clipboard or Move with Clipboard. The file is now in mobilEcho’s Clipboard.
5. In mobilEcho, go to the folder on the Microwave that you want to move the file to.
6. Tap the Clipboard icon.
7. Tap on the file you want to move.
8. Tap Paste. The file is now moved from your iPad to Microwave.
Note: Not all applications have an "Open in" feature.