Your mental health is just as important as your physical health. Bowdoin College offers benefits to help people maintain their mental health or help those with mental health or addiction issues. Here are three examples:
- The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) helps employees deal with personal problems such as stress, relationship issues, major life events, depression, or even financial or legal concerns. Learn more about the EAP.
- Trying to maintain a healthy work/life balance can be hard these days. Learn more about how Bowdoin can help.
- The College's health plans include mental health benefits.
Am I eligible for EAP benefits?
All benefits eligible employees and their immediate family members can use the Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and the Work/Life Balance resources.
How much does it cost?
There is no cost to you or your immediate family members to use the EAP program. The EAP allows for up to 4 free visits per person per issue per calendar year.
What types of mental health benefits arecovered by the PPO Health Plan?
The Bowdoin College PPO Health Plan offers Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services that include:
- Inpatient – General hospital or mental health hospital stays. These services are covered at 90% for Preferred In-Network providers, 70% for In-Network Providers and at 60% for Out-of-Network providers after your deductible is met.
- Outpatient Facility – This includes substance abuse centers or mental health clinics. These services are covered at 90% for Preferred In-Network providers, 70% for In-Network Providers and at 60% at Out-of-Network providers after your deductible is met.
- Outpatient Office Visits – Visits to an In-Network psychotherapist, psychologist, psychiatrist, or other counselor are covered at 100% after a $20 co-pay. Out-of-Network provider services are covered at 60% after your deductible is met.
As with physical health, there are Preferred In-Network, In-Network and Out-of-Network behavioral health providers. You will want to check the list of In-Network providers at Anthem when making choices about mental health services. Remember: Out-of-Network benefits are subject to the maximum allowances under the plan which can mean significantly higher out-of-pocket costs to you.
What types of mental health benefits are covered by the College's High Deductible Health Plans (HDHPs)?
After you meet your deductible, outpatient and inpatient mental/behavioral health services and substance abuse disorder services are covered at 80% and you are responsible for 20% co-insurance. Out-of-network outpatient or inpatient services for substance abuse disorders or mental/behavioral health are covered at 60%.
Inpatient services require preauthorization. Employees must call Anthem Behavioral Health (1-800-755-0851) for preauthorization of all scheduled inpatient admissions.
How do I use the mental health benefits?
For the most part, there are no special rules or restrictions for using the mental health benefits. However, there are a few important notes listed below.
- If you or a dependent needs a scheduled in-patient admission, you must receive preauthorization from Anthem Behavioral Health by calling 1-800-755-0851. If there is an emergency admission, you or someone you designate must call within 48 hours.