Student Health Insurance 2014-2015

To learn more about the 2014-2015 Bowdoin Injury and Illness Insurance Plan, go to June 9, 2014, click on “Student  Waive/Enroll".  If you have additional benefit questions, contact Gallagher Student Health & Special Risk at 1-800-391-9752 or for more general questions please contact the Student Health Insurance Coordinator at (207) 798-4284.

Please be aware, if you have waived the Bowdoin Student Injury and Illness Insurance Plan, you or your home PCP need to contact your insurance carrier at their toll-free telephone number (on back of your insurance card) prior to receiving off-campus medical care to make sure your carrier doesn't require prior authorization or referrals from your primary care provider.

Accident Only  Insurance Option for students who waive the Bowdoin Injury and Illness Plan

Students and parents, who have carefully reviewed their policies and determined that their current health insurance plan is adequate, now have the option to purchase an Accident Only Insurance Plan. The Accident Only Plan will cover any accident that occurs, including those resulting from a sports injury at 100% up to $2,500 and then at 80% up to $50,000.  Coverage includes x-ray, laboratory tests, surgery, doctor's visits, nursing care, hospital care and treatment, prescription drugs and other necessary treatment.  The benefit for dental treatment of injury to sound natural teeth is limited to a maximum of $1,500 per Accident.  This plan will be secondary to the students primary insurance plan and provides up to $50,000 coverage per accident.  The annual cost of the Accident Only Plan is $300.00.  This coverage is offered to students waiving the Bowdoin Student Accident and Sickness Insurance Plan.  Individuals wishing to purchase this insurance will do so using the waiver process at 

Sports Insurance

Bowdoin College has an excess athletic sports insurance policy, underwritten by Arch Insurance Company and administered through Gallagher Student Health & Special Risk, for injuries which occur as a result of participation in sponsored Intercollegiate, Intramural and Club sports. The policy may provide excess coverage for injuries which occur as a result of participating in a regularly scheduled, supervised, sponsored play or practice. The policy may cover charges not covered by the student's primary insurance carrier.

In the event of an injury, you should submit the medical claim directly to your primary health insurance plan. Once you receive an explanation of benefits (EOB) indicating an unpaid balance, you may wish to submit the claim to the excess policy.

To submit the claim to the excess policy a Sports Claim form must be filled out by the Athletic Trainer, or by a clinician at the Health Center, and signed by the student. Mail the itemized bill from the provider (either a HCFA 1500 or UB04) and a copy of the Explanations of Benefits from the primary insurance plan to:

Gallagher Student Health & Special Risk

ATTN: Sports Division

500 Victory Road

Quincy, MA  02171

Tel- 1-800-457-5599

Please include your Bowdoin College Student ID#. 

If you have additional questions, please call the Student Health Insurance Coordinator at (207)798-4284.