Office of Environmental Health and Safety
• Health & Safety Officer - Administer employee training, medical monitoring, and personal protective equipment programs; develop policies and procedures to address current and anticipated life safety issues; respond to faculty, staff, and student concerns; and coordinate campus-wide and department-specific safety programs.
• Environmental Compliance Manager - Prepare and maintain programs, licenses, permits, documentation, and reporting required by environmental regulations; remain apprised of changes to applicable laws and regulations, and assess the effects on College operations; and supervise spill response, due diligence, and site investigation efforts.
• Risk Manager - Manage workplace safety issues, including the investigation and resolution of accidents and incidents, and the development of injury-prevention programs and strategies.
• Chemical Hygiene Officer - Supervise chemical and hazardous materials use, inventory, reduction/pollution prevention efforts, and waste disposal programs.
• Radiation Safety Officer - Administer the licensing, use, storage, and disposal of radioactive materials and equipment used for academic research purposes.
• Institutional Biosafety Officer - Provide oversight on the handling and care of animals used for academic research purposes.
• Committees - Support the activities of the campus safety, chemical hygiene, radiation safety, and animal care and use committees; and form transient committees to aid in the development of specific safety policies and procedures. The EHS Manager also works closely with Human Resources to address college-wide concerns, develop wellness programs, and manage worker's compensation issues; and with Sustainable Bowdoin to coordinate waste reduction, recycling, and environmental management efforts.
Bowdoin maintains a comprehensive Environmental Health and Safety program to:
• ensure compliance with state and federal laws and regulations regarding life safety, environmental protection, and labor;
• maintain a safe and healthful workplace for its employees, and learning environment for its students; and
• promote occupational and personal wellness.