English Department Writing Prizes
Submissions for writing prizes are reviewed by faculty judges. The department awards the winners during the college's Honors Day program in May, and prize winners’ names are also printed in the commencement program.
A competition for the Brown Prize for Extemporaneous Composition is held in the spring, and it's open to all seniors.
- Hawthorne Prize: for best short story written by a sophomore, junior, or senior
- Sinkinson Prize: for best short story written by a junior or senior
For best work of creative nonfiction, open to all classes.
- David Sewall Premium: to a member of the first-year class, for excellence in English composition
- Pray Prize: to a senior for excellence in English literature scholarship and original English composition
For best work of poetry, open to all classes
- The Academy of American Poets Colette Inez Poetry Prize
- Forbes Rickard Poetry Prize
- Nathalie Walker Llewellyn Poetry Prize
- Poetry Prize
Deadline for Submissions
Brown Prize for Extemporaneous Composition
Instructions for Submission
- Click here for a submission form and manuscript requirements (this form can also be picked up at the door of room 102, Massachusetts Hall).
- Complete and attach your submission form to the front of a printed copy of your work. Do not put your name or class year on your work.
- Drop off your submission(s) at the door of room 102, Massachusetts Hall.
Questions? Contact the English department coordinator at email@example.com