Summer research in the Department of Earth and Oceanographic Science gives students a chance to become immersed in a project where they can synthesize and apply elements of their classroom learning.
Faculty will identify opportunities on an annual basis. Please visit the EOS Faculty Page to see our list of faculty and to explore their individual research and teaching dossiers.Bowdoin Summer Fellowships
On-campus summer fellowships are available for students covering a wide variety of academic research.
Students should make appointments early with a member of the earth and oceanographic science faculty to discuss individual requirements when working on a summer research project.
- Pathways to Science is a website that is a clearing house for fellowships, scholarships, and internships. It allows you to search by discipline, region, etc.
- The National Science Foundation (NSF) Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) covers a variety of disciplines and is hosted by a variety of institutions.
- The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) offers the Ernest F. Hollings Scholarship, a two-year program that includes a summer research opportunity at participating NOAA lab, as well as academic scholarship support for two years. Students must apply their sophomore year.
- NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration) offers a Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowships Project (SURF) through Caltech (California Institute of Technology) and the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California.
- Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution Summer Student Fellowship