Student Employment Opportunities
Academic Mentor Job Description
Academic Mentors are peer academic counselors who work with Bowdoin students committed to discovering strategies and approaches that will best help achieve their personal academic goals. Mentors work with individual students and small groups, and might be asked to facilitate workshops and study groups.
Academic Mentors are available during advertised hours in the Center for Learning and Teaching, Kanbar Hall, Room 102 and other areas of campus, and also make individual appointments with students at times convenient to both parties.
Applicants for academic mentor positions must be in good academic standing, and must maintain an average of B- or better in all classes during the semester prior to training and while employed.
Motivation, interest, enthusiasm, openness to diversity and the ability to maintain strict confidentiality are essential characteristics of successful mentors.
Mentors are required to commit a minimum of 3 hours per week throughout the semester.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Learn and practice a variety of learning assessments and study strategies by participating in training and completing weekly readings and logs during work hours.
- Participate and regularly check student website, Blackboard for further training and on-line discussions.
- Complete assessments of students' study strategies, learning styles and academic goals.
- Help students learn new strategies and approaches to improve academic performance.
- Support students attempting to implement study strategy changes.
- Meet regularly with Baldwin Program for Academic Development staff.
- Participate in on-going training throughout the academic year.
- Be available during regularly scheduled hours to meet with students requesting academic mentoring. Some evening hours may be expected.
- Maintain organized and complete written records of every mentoring interaction.
- Maintain complete confidentiality regarding all student information.
- Organize and present workshops.
- Other duties as assigned.
For more information or to apply for a position*, see the Student Employment website
*Fall 2015: Hiring has been temporarily suspended until the Director position is filled.