What is academic coaching?
Academic coaching is an interactive process between a student and a coach. This working partnership focuses on learning skills and resources, tailored to the student, which help students be successful in college and beyond. An academic coach asks questions to examine learning preferences, habits of working, current challenges in an academic context, and barriers to success. Based on the student’s strength and needs they co-create a personalized plan of action of learning strategies to overcome those challenges and create a foundation for success in college. Throughout this process the student learns to identify and practice the strategies and resources that work best to reach their goals. The ambition of Academic Coaching is to increase awareness of what it takes to stay on track academically and anchor this awareness with new strategies, a supportive relationship, and personal accountability.
You can talk with an academic coach about:
- Time management and planning
- Managing research and large projects
- Techniques for acquiring new knowledge and skills
- Efficient reading and learning from text
- Studying and mastering large amounts of information
- Motivation, goal-setting, and overcoming procrastination
- Managing ADHD
- Test anxiety and exam preparation
Good times to meet an academic coach
- Beginning of the semester to set goals and start strong
- Mid-semester to reflect on mid-terms and revise your stragegies
- End of the semester to prepare for finals and to finish strong
- Anytime you...
- feel overwhelmed and stressed out
- want to sharpen your learning or life management skills
Can't wait to get started? Want to connect with an academic coach?