Application Procedure for Faculty Research Awards
A complete application consists of three files: a project description (items 1-7 below), a CV and a budget. All applications must be submitted electronically on or before the deadline date to email@example.com. Applications must be submitted in PDF format, except the budget which may be submitted as an Excel document. For assistance in creating PDF documents, please contact the IT Help Desk. An incomplete or late application will not be considered. Do not submit original receipts with proposals. Please hold them until an award is granted.
A completed Faculty Research Award application must include the following:
- Title of project.
- A brief abstract of the project (fewer than 100 words).
- A narrative description (no more than two pages single-spaced, 12 point font, one inch margins) in which the applicant makes clear in language that is accessible to non-specialist colleagues the following:
- the basic ideas, problems, works or questions the study will examine, and the steps to be taken to accomplish this project;
- the significance of the project to the applicant's scholarly field and research program;
- the significance of the project to the applicant's continued scholarly development.
- Faculty applying only for conference travel funding need only explain the significance of the project to the applicant's scholarly field and research program.
- A clear statement of the anticipated outcome(s) of the project. This is not required for proposals requesting only conference travel funding.
- In the case of a request for conference travel, a description of the proposed use of the Dean's professional conference travel must be included. Please see Types of Expenses Funded for details.
- A statement indicating the date and amount of award(s) from the Faculty Development Committee received over the past six years. A brief summary of the results of work supported by such prior funding is a prerequisite for additional funding. Any relationships between previously funded projects and the current one must be described.
- A statement indicating what other sources of funding have been requested or received for the proposed project. Requests for subventions for book publishing should be accompanied by a letter from the press that clarifies the publisher's policy and provides information about the costs for which the applicant seeks funding.
- A current curriculum vitae.
- A budget, as descriptive and detailed as possible in the format shown here. Please see Types of Expenses Funded for help on how to prepare your budget.
A completed Faculty Research Award application should not include the following:
- A cover letter
- Any personal information about the applicant (e.g. salary information, family situation, etc.)
The FDC strives to return decisions within a month of application submission deadlines.
Generation of Income
For all awards, if the project generates income, the relevant fund should be reimbursed.
All grants will cover up to a two-year period from the date of the award. Any unused funds will then revert to the Fund, as will any funds remaining at the end of the academic year from grants to those ending their services to the College in that year.