This schedule will be updated as the semester progresses.
Sept 1, 6, 8):
Sept 13 , 15:
Sep 20, 22:
Sep 27 , 29:
Oct 4 , 6:
Tue Oct 11th: Fall break
- Topics : Sorting lower bound. Sorting in linear time.
Exam 1 (covers everything up to and including binary-search trees)
- Notes : sortLB.pdf |
- Reading: CLRS 8, 9
- Lab: [exam in place of lab]
Oct 13, 14, 15:
- Topics : Selection. Divide-and-conquer algorithms (Strassen, maximum sub-array).
- Notes : Selection.pdf |
e1 | Max-subarray.pdf | Strassen.pdf
- Reading: CLRS 9, 4.1, 4.2
- Lab: No in-class lab this week, only homework. Lab 5 (selection, D&C) due Friday 10/21.
Week of Oct 18:
- Tue 10/18: class cancelled.
- Thur10/20: no class, but everybody who does not have a conflict
is required to attend Peter Norvig's meeting I with
Computer Science students and faculty, which is 2:30-4, Maine
Lounge, Moulton Union.
- Fri 10/21: Instead of lab, everyone is required to attend Peter
Norvig's meeting II with Computer Science students and faculty,
which is 10-11:30 Beam classroom, Visual Arts Center.
- Lab: Lab 5 due Friday 10/21 by 11:30, please
place it in 2200 box by 11.30 Lab 5 was split into two parts, and
part 2 (aka Lab 6) extended to 10/28.
Oct 25, 27, 28:
- Topics: Dynamic programming.
- Notes: BoardGame.pdf | Rod.pdf
- Reading: CLRS 15.1, 15.4
- Lab: Lab 7 (dynamic programming) (due Friday 11/4)
Nov 1, 3, 4:
Nov 8, 10, 11:
Nov 15: Exam 2.
- Covers linear time sorting, sorting lower bound, selection,
divide and conquer and dynamic programming.
- Open books and notes.
- You'll work on it during class on Tuesday, which will give you
the opportunity to understand the problems and ask questions.
- You'll continue to work on it at home and bring it on
Thursday in class.
Nov 17, 18:
- Topics: Topological sort.
- Reading: CLRS 22.4
- Lab: Lab 9 (graphs I) (due Tue 11/29)
- Topics: Shortest paths in DAGs.
- Reading: CLRS chapter 24.1
Thu Nov 24th: Thanksgiving break
Nov 29, Dec 1, 2:
- Topics: Shortest paths: Bellman-Ford and Dijkstra's algorithms.
- Notes: shpaths.pdf
- Internet: Dijkstra demo by Kevin Wayne.
- Reading: CLRS 24.2, 24.3
- Lab: Lab 10 (graphs II)
Dec 6, 8, 9:
- Topics: Minimum spanning trees (Kruskal and Prim's algorithms). Union-find structure).
- Notes: MST.pdf
- Internet: Lecture slides | Kruskal demo | Prim demo by Kevin Wayne
- Reading: CLRS 23
- Lab: Review and algorithmic questions from technical interviews.
Exam 3 will be take-home, due on (check final exam date in polaris).