Energy Star Rated Back-To-School Shopping Checklist
Students can make a difference by shopping "smart" with ENERGY STAR®.
Computing the Savings
ENERGY STAR® Qualified Computer Equipment
- Computer Monitor ENERGY STAR® qualified computer monitors automatically power down to 15 watts or less when not in use, saving up to 90 percent more energy than standard monitors.
- Printer If every home office were powered by equipment that has earned the ENERGY STAR®, the change would keep more than 219 billion pounds of greenhouse gases out of our air.
- Scanner ENERGY STAR® qualified scanners, printers and computer monitors undergo less wear and tear because they power down to "sleep" mode during periods of inactivity.
Tuning in to Energy Efficiency
ENERGY STAR® Qualified Electronics
- TV ENERGY STAR® qualified TVs use 24 percent less energy than standard models.
- VCR Each year, Americans spend about $1 billion to power TVs and VCRs that are not in use.
- DVD Player DVD players that have earned the ENERGY STAR® use half of the power that conventional models use.
- Stereo Home audio equipment that bears the ENERGY STAR® use 70 percent less electricity than standard equipment.
Making a Connection with a Cleaner Environment
ENERGY STAR® Qualified Telephones and Answering Machines
- Cordless Phone Telephones that have earned the ENERGY STAR® operate on one-third of the power used by standard models.
- Answering Machine If all cordless phones, answering machines and combination units sold in the U.S. during the next ten years were ENERGY STAR® qualified, U.S. consumers would save approximately $4.4 billion on energy bills and reduce greenhouse gas emissions equivalent to those of more than 570,000 cars.
Brightening Their Future
ENERGY STAR® Qualified Desk Lamps and Lighting
- Desk Lamp Ninety percent of the energy generated by standard light bulbs is wasted as heat, leaving only 10 percent to be converted into visible light. However, light bulbs and fixtures that have earned the ENERGY STAR® use 75 percent less electricity than conventional models.
- Torchiere/Floor Lamp When just one room in every household is brightened by ENERGY STAR® qualified lighting, the change will reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 1 trillion tons.
A Cool Way to Make a Difference
ENERGY STAR® Qualified Compact Refrigerators
- Compact Refrigerators ENERGY STAR® qualified compact refrigerators use 20% less energy than standard models.