Frequently Asked Questions

If I receive a fellowship, can I take additional summer work?

No, by accepting a fellowship you agree to commit eight weeks full-time during the summer towards the completion of your proposed project and should refrain from employment during the period of your appointment. 

If I receive an institutional research fellowship, can I also accept another Bowdoin-funded opportunity such as a Funded Internship or Community Matters in Maine Fellowship?

When a student is offered an institutional fellowship, s/he will be asked whether s/he plans to accept any additional College-funded opportunities. 

Stipend.  College policy states that a student may receive a maximum of ten weeks of stipend support from the College per summer.  Therefore, if both awards offer stipend support, the relevant offices will work together to maximize the student’s summer experience while adhering to the College’s ten-week policy.  

Research Related Expenses.  College policy prohibits the same expense being covered twice by two different funds.  If both awards reimburse the student for research related expenses, the relevant offices will work together to maximize the student’s summer experience while ensuring that each expense is reimbursed/covered only once.

Is the grant money subject to taxes?

Taxes will not be deducted from your stipend payments; however, you may be required to report your award amount when you file your annual tax return. In January following your fellowship, you will receive a letter from the Controller's Office detailing the amount of fellowship stipend and in-kind support you have received; you may need this letter when preparing your annual tax return. 

When can I start my summer research?

While your first stipend installment will arrive in early June, your summer research may begin at any time. 

Do the eight weeks of summer research need to be carried out consecutively?

No, with your advisor's approval the eight weeks of research may be carried out at any time during the summer. 

I'm graduating in the spring. Can I still apply for an institutional fellowship?

Seniors are only eligible to apply for the Langbein Fellowship, which is offered most (but not all) years.

What is the difference between the phase one application and the phase two application?

The phase one application will ask for basic information, such as the identification of your faculty mentor and a brief description of your project. This application will trigger an e-mail to be sent to your mentor with instructions on how he or she can upload your letter of support by the phase two deadline.

The phase two application will ask for additional personal information and will require you to upload your full project description, budget (if applicable), and an unofficial academic history from Polaris.

What if I change my mind after submitting a phase one application?

If you decide you no longer wish to pursue an institutional research fellowship at any point after starting the process, you can withdraw from the process by contacting Corey Colwill and your faculty mentor.  There is no need to complete a phase two application if you no longer wish to be considered for a fellowship.

What if I miss the phase one deadline?

On some rare occasions, a student who has missed the phase one deadline may still be able to submit an application with the approval of his or her mentor.  Please contact Corey Colwill for additional information.

Is on-campus housing guaranteed for research fellows?

No, students must apply for summer housing. Staying on campus during the summer is a privilege, any student wishing to live in campus summer housing must also be in good social standing. All students should make sure to read the terms of the lease, including the fine print, to ensure that they can meet all the requirements of summer housing. The lease agreement and the dates when summer housing is available can be found here

Is off-campus housing subsidized?

No, research fellows living off campus for the summer do not receive any housing support.  

My project involves vertebrate animal or human research subjects. What do I need to do?

Projects involving vertebrate animals or human subjects may need to be reviewed by Bowdoin's Institutional Animal Care Use Committee (IACUC) or Institutional Review Board (IRB), respectively. Information about both committees may be found here. Your faculty mentor can guide you through the process. If your project requires review, please check the appropriate box at the end of this letter. Your research must be either covered by an approved protocol or found exempt before any research can begin.

My project may involve international travel. Is there any additional information I should know?

Yes, Bowdoin College students and faculty have access to the Executive Assistant Program when they are traveling outside of the United States. 

Can I carry out the research during the academic year instead of the summer?

Institutional Fellowships are usually carried out during the summer, and many institutional fellowships may only be awarded for the summer according to the terms of the endowed fund. The Internal Fellowships Committee will consider making academic year fellowship awards if there are compelling reasons as to why the research needs to be conducted during the academic year. Summer student research fellows are obligated to refrain from employment during the period of their appointment. Students participating in a research fellowship during the academic year are expected to work part-time throughout the year on the project. 

My fellowship award letter said I need to complete a final report. What is that supposed to look like and how do I submit it?

At the completion of your fellowship you must complete and electronically submit a brief one-page report of your research project, which will be posted on the Student Fellowships and Research website and may be shared with donors. A one-page final report template along with formatting and submission instructions is linked here.