International Student Employees at Bowdoin

On-Campus Employment

At Bowdoin, the term international student refers to any student who is not a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident.

International students, including DACA students (see below), may work on campus during both the academic year and the summer. Students on an H-4 visa may not work.

All students on campus are restricted to a maximum cumulative total of 20 hours per week during the academic year and 40 hours per week during winter, spring or summer break. If you hold more than one position on-campus, you must calculate the total hours worked across all jobs to ensure that you work 20 or fewer hours per week.

International student employees and their supervisors are encouraged to pay close attention to the 20 hour weekly limit as working more than the limit could constitute a violation of the student's visa, which could have serious consequences.

Special Steps to Employment for International Students

[Please note: Beginning employment prior to completing the steps below could result in serious consequences for you if you hold a student visa.]

  1. Apply for jobs on-campus via the Student Employment website or by networking with on-campus employers.

  2. Once you receive a job offer from an employer, please ask your supervisor to submit a completed International Student Employee Data Sheet to the Associate Director of Student Employment and to Khoa Khuong, the International Student Advisor in the Office of the Dean of Student Affairs by email or by campus mail. This form provides us with proof of intent to hire and the terms of your eventual employment. The Associate Director of Student Employment and the International Student Advisor will each provide you with a letter verifying your employment on-campus. These letters are required for step 3.

  3. Obtain a Social Security Number (SSN). (If you already have a US Social Security Number, contact Student Employment. You will be able to skip this step.) Take the two letters from Student Employment and the International Student Advisor, your passport with your I-94 card, and your I-20 to the Social Security Administration Office in Portland. (Students with a J-1 visa should consult with us about additional documents you may need.) The International Student Advisor can help you arrange your trip to Portland. More information about the social security card application can be found here. The Social Security Administration office is located at 550 Forest Avenue.

  4. After you receive your official Social Security card in the mail, which takes about one week, please email the Student Employment Office at We will initiate your hire into your on-campus position.

  5. After Student Employment emails you to let you know that your hire has been processed, the final step is for you to email Robin Saindon in the Controller's Office at Please send her a few days and times during which you are free to meet with her to complete your employment paperwork. It's best to allow for one hour for this meeting, though it may take less time. Robin will send you a link to the Glacier software program - an application that will assist you with your paperwork, and later, with filing your taxes. Important Note: You will need to have a U.S. Bank account established prior to this meeting to fill out your Direct Deposit form. You will also need to bring original copies of your travel documents (Passport, DS-2019, I-94, VISA sticker, etc.). After you meet with Robin and she gives you the go-ahead, you may then notify your supervisor that you are ready to begin working on-campus.

Important - Filing Taxes and Tax Treaty Benefits

If you are eligible for your country’s tax treaty benefits, annually renew the tax treaty benefit Form 8233. You will receive an email reminder (from Glacier) in December. Do not ignore the email reminder; it is important. By not renewing the tax treaty form, you will be subject to federal and state income taxes.

Additionally, you can expect to receive an earnings/taxes statement (W-2 and/or 1042S) in late January. The W-2 will be delivered to your SU box; the 1042s will be sent electronically via Glacier. Watch for these important email notifications! They will help you to easily file your tax return using CINTAX tax preparation software (via Glacier), if need be.

Off-Campus Employment

If you are an international student, the federal regulations that govern off-campus employment are very strict and failure to comply with these policies could jeopardize your immigration status. Please speak with the International Student Advisor in the Office of the Dean of Student Affairs if you have questions prior to accepting an off-campus position. In most cases, off-campus employment must be directly related to the student’s program of study listed on the I-20 (F-1 students) or DS-2019 (J-1 students). Students on an H-4 visa may not work.

DACA Students

Undocumented students who have Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) are eligible to work on campus as long as they have their Social Security Number and employment authorization document (EAD). DACA students will need to present their EAD (i.e., work permit) when you fill out employment paperwork, so please remember to bring it with you to campus. While DACA students are ineligible to participate in the Federal Work-Study Program, this does not preclude you from being eligible for most on-campus jobs.