Weapons Storage Policy
Bowdoin College regulates the possession and use of weapons on campus and prohibits the possession of weapons in campus buildings and on grounds. This policy includes any device which can expel a projectile and/or other dangerous weapons including knives*, explosives, bows and arrows, swords, or other items, which, in their intended use, are capable of inflicting serious injury.
*Prohibited knives include, but are not limited to, any knife with a blade length of more than four inches, any knife with a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in the handle of the knife, or any knife having a blade that opens or falls or is ejected into position by the force of gravity, or by an outward, downward or centrifugal thrust or movement.
FIREARMS, AMMUNITION, OR OTHER WEAPONS ARE STRICTLY FORBIDDEN IN ANY COLLEGE OWNED OR OPERATED BUILDING OR SPACE.
Because these weapons may pose a clear risk to persons and property on the campus, violation of the regulations may result in administrative action from the college and/or prosecution under the appropriate state or federal laws.
No person shall be permitted to carry firearms or other weapons, concealed or not concealed, with or without a concealed weapon permit, while on properties owned or controlled by the College, without the express written permission of the Director of Safety and Security.
A student residing in property owned by the College who wishes to bring any weapon to campus must check it in with the Office of Safety and Security for storage immediately upon arriving at the College, and may check it out just before its use. A weapons storage request form (available at the Office of Safety and Security) must be completed and approved prior to storing a weapon in the storage facility.
The Office of Safety and Security reserves the right to refuse any weapon to an individual if, at the time of pick up, the individual is believed to be under the influence of any drug or intoxicating substance, or if an officer believes the individual's judgment is impaired to the extent that the person may pose a threat to himself/herself or others. The Office of Safety and Security is not responsible for items damaged or lost.
The Director of the Office of Safety and Security may seize or deny permission to possess any weapon on campus property which he deems to present a danger to the campus community.
GUIDELINES FOR AUTHORIZED SECURE WEAPONS STORAGE
- Requests for authorization to store weapons on campus are to be directed to the Director of Safety and Security.
- Access to the weapons storage room will be controlled by the Office of Safety and Security.
- Students wishing to access their weapons must contact the Office of Safety and Security in advance, (207) 725-3314.
- Firearms must have actions cleared and chambers and magazines empty and secured with a cable gun lock. Ammunition should be transported and stored in a durable container.
- Students must have weapons in a protective case when transporting them to and from the Office of Safety and Security.
- Students must present their Bowdoin photo identification to a security officer to be checked against a Master Access List.
- Students will sign a log sheet recording access to their weapon.
Please direct any questions regarding this policy to the Director of Safety and Security at (207) 725-3458.