Academic Chairs & Coordinators
Polaris will be implemented in phases (see Timeline for details), with the core functions available by the fall of 2013. After the core implementation, Polaris will continue to grow to benefit Bowdoin students, faculty, and staff. Benefits to Chairs and Academic Department Coordinators are detailed below.
Course Offerings & Scheduling
- Course offerings (tan sheets) will be submitted online
- Course offerings and course enrollments put into Polaris will be accessible online for historic review; the current system only saves the past two semesters
- Course demand data will be available during critical periods to allow for optimizing course scheduling
- Division and distribution requirements will be automatically tracked for students, so that advisors and students can easily monitor their progress toward meeting those college degree requirements
- After the core implementation is complete, major and minor requirements will be added to the system and made available online a few departments at a time
- For those departments that use course placement recommendations as course prerequisites or course equivalents, Polaris will ensure that students are only allowed to register for the appropriate courses in your department
- Students' test results from AP/IB and other international exams will be available to those with authorized access
If you have any questions about the activities or deadlines, please contact Suzanne Lovett.