Kanbar Hall, which opened in time for the start of the fall 2004 semester, serves as the new home for Psychology, Education, and the Center for Learning and Teaching, which houses the Baldwin Center, the Quantitative Skills Program, and the Writing Project. The various programs in the building share the classroom and seminar spaces as well as the library, lounge, and meeting areas.
The three-story, 26,000-square-foot building, located on the northeast corner of the campus, provides a new entry to campus on one side and completes the science quadrangle on the other. The building was sited to take advantage of active student circulation paths from the east, and to save as many of the existing large pine trees as possible.
Kanbar Hall's design incorporates red brick for the "floating" masonry upper mass of the building, linking the color and texture of the façade to that of adjacent historic buildings. Glass, bay windows, and window openings serve to increase the transparency of the building. The lower-level classroom and lounge areas provide excellent outside visibility and are equally visible from external surroundings. Outdoor patios within low brick walls reinforce the transparency of the building and may serve as instructional spaces bringing learning and interaction outside on fall and springtime Maine days.
Kanbar Hall was designed by Peter Kuttner, Steve Imrich, Thomas Rose and Todd Cirillo of Cambridge Seven Associates, Inc., in Cambridge, Mass. The general contractor for the building was Peyton Maine Corp., of Saco, Maine.
Construction of Kanbar Hall was made possible by a lead gift from The Kanbar Charitable Trust in honor of Elliott Kanbar, a member of the Class of 1956. This gift was augmented by grants from the George I. Alden Trust, the Arthur Vining Davis Foundations, and the Booth Ferris Foundation. A seminar room honoring the late Paul V. Hazelton, professor of education, was a gift of Terry D. Stenberg, of the Bowdoin Class of 1956, and his family.
Location: Kanbar Hall is located on the southwest corner of Bath Road and Sills Drive, next to Sills Hall and Cleveland Hall. campus map »
Kanbar Hall Dedication Ceremony:
Kanbar Hall was dedicated on Friday, October 22, 2004.
President Barry Mills' remarks at the event »