The Gibson Hall of Music was dedicated in 1954 in memory of Harvey Dow Gibson, class of 1902, music lover and Commissioner of the Red Cross in Europe during both world wars. Gibson Hall offers classrooms, rehearsal and practice rooms, the music library, a classroom/recital hall, and a more intimate seminar room.
- Gibson Hall contains a seminar room that is used for small classes and ensemble rehearsals.
- The Tillotson Room, a 68-seat recital hall, is used for large classes and many student recitals.
- Gibson Hall houses a small computer lab with Macintosh computers and MIDI keyboards, computer terminals with music publishing software in the Beckwith Music Library, and a recording engineering setup.
Gibson Hall has the classiest student lounge on campus! Carved oak paneling from the 18th century, once in a music salon in the Hôtel de Sens in Paris, a marble fireplace mantel, and a display of Renaissance instruments adorn Gibson Salon.
Directions to Gibson Hall
From Interstate 295, take Exit 28 (Brunswick) to U.S. Route 1 North; when Route 1 turns sharply to the left, keep going straight on Pleasant Street; at the end of Pleasant Street, turn right onto Maine Street; pass First Parish Church (on your left); just beyond the statue of Joshua Chamberlain, turn left onto Park Row. Gibson Hall is the fourth building on the left.
Free public parking is available on Park Row. Guests may park in on-campus parking lots on weekends and after 5:00 PM on weekdays. For weekdays, parking permits are available from the Security Office in Rhodes Hall on Bath Road.