Story posted September 15, 2008
"Peculiar Obligations: Historical Perspectives on the Common Good at Bowdoin College" examines how individuals at different moments in Bowdoin’s history interpreted the common good and acted to fulfill the institution’s civic function. Initiated in Assistant Professor of Education Charles Dorn’s seminar entitled “The Civic Functions of Higher Education in America,” this display draws on letters, photographs, policy statements, newspapers and other archival materials in Bowdoin’s Special Collections. Eight interpretive panels address how over time members of the College community responded to the Reverend Joseph McKeen’s appeal in his inaugural address in 1802: “If it be true, that no man should live to himself, we may safely assert, that every man who has been aided by a public institution to acquire an education, and to qualify himself for usefulness, is under peculiar obligations to exert his talents for the public good.” The installation will be on display for the opening of the McKeen Center, and a complementary exhibition of Special Collections artifacts will be on view at Hawthorne-Longfellow Library throughout the fall semester.
The events are part of the yearlong series of public events “Seeking the Common Good,” offered in conjunction with the opening of the Joseph McKeen Center for the Common Good. For more information, contact the Joseph McKeen Center for the Common Good (798-4156).
Exhibit: "Peculiar Obligations: Historical Perspectives on the Common Good at Bowdoin College"
Installation for the opening of the McKeen Center for the Common Good. Features student archival research into Bowdoin College's historic civic functions.
Morrell Lounge, Smith Union
September 26 to October 6
Exhibit: "Peculiar Obligations: An Exhibition Celebrating the Dedication of the Joseph McKeen Center for the Common Good"
The George J. Mitchell Department of Special Collections and Archiveswill display artifacts that illuminate our understanding of McKeen'scall.
Hawthorne-Longfellow Library, 2nd floor gallery
September 26, 2008 to January 20, 2009
This project funded in part by the Morgan Family Foundation.