Configure Outlook 2010 (PC) and 2011 (Mac)
Outlook 2010 for Windows
When you open Outlook 2010 for the first time on a Bowdoin computer while on the Bowdoin network, the mail settings are already configured for your Bowdoin email.
If you are using Outlook on your home computer OR you are using Outlook for the first time on your Bowdoin computer while OFF the Bowdoin network, you will need to configure Outlook using the following instructions. Note: Students- launch Outlook once, don't configure, then close. This will give you the "Mail " icon in the 4th step below.
Make sure Outlook is closed.
- Click on the "Start" menu
- Click on "Control Panel"
- In Control Panel click on "Classic View" to see Control Panel icons.
- Double click on the "Mail" icon.
- Click "Show Profiles"
- Click "Add"
- Type in "Bowdoin" and click "ok"
- Check the box for "Manually Configure Server Settings..."
- Click Next
- Select the "Microsoft Exchange" radio button.
- Click "Next"
- Uncheck the box for "Use Cached Exchange Mode"
- Type in the Bowdoin Exchange server settings: outlook.bowdoincollege.edu
- Type in your Bowdoin user name--Do not click "check name" if you are setting this up off campus.
- Click the "More Settings" button
- Click the "Connection" tab
- Check the box for "Connect to Microsoft Exchange using HTTP"
- Click on the "Exchange proxy settings" button
- In the first line next to https:// type in the following: webmail.bowdoin.edu
- Check both On Fast networks and On Slow networks check boxes.
- Change "proxy authentication settings" to "Basic Authentication"
- Click "OK"
- Click the "Security" tab
- Check the box for "Encrypt data between Microsoft Office Outlook and Microsoft Exchange" if not already checked.
- Click "Apply" and "OK"
- Click "Next"
- Click "Finish"
- Click "OK" You can now launch Outlook 2010!
Outlook 2011 for Mac OSX
- Open the "Go" menu at the top of your screen and click "Applications".
- Double-click the "Office 2011" folder then double-click the "Outlook" icon.
- Click "Tools" and then "Accounts".
- Click on the "Exchange Account" icon or click on the '+' in the lower left hand corner and select "Exchange".
- Enter your full official Bowdoin email address.
- Select "User Name and Password" for Method.
- Enter your Bowdoin email username and password.
- Select "Configure automatically".
- Click "Add Account" to complete setup.
- Give Outlook a moment and your Bowdoin email box will show up in Outlook's main screen. Your email, calendar and contacts will start to poplulate.
- Document author:
- Sherry Saxida
- Last modified:
- Apr 03, 2012