NOTE: e-mail is considered an official method of communication at Bowdoin College because it delivers information conveniently, is cost effective and environmentally friendly. Even though email delivery can never be guaranteed, forwarding messages to an outside email provider reduces the reliability of email delivery.
To support the College’s ability to communicate important information to all of its constituents, a policy has been enacted that expects all members of the campus community to either:
Gmail offers POP3 access for up to 5 other email addresses and will import mail from your Bowdoin inbox. (Gmail will not import folders so if you want to move all of your mail, you will have to move all mail to the inbox)
1. Log into your Gmail account and click on the "Settings" icon in the upper right-hand corner and choose Settings.
2. Click on Accounts & Import.
3. Click on "Add a POP3 mail account you own."
4. Type the email address of the account you want to access, i.e. firstname.lastname@example.org and click on Next step.
5. Enter your information as shown below. Things to note are the POP Mail server name pop.bowdoin.edu, the port number is 995 and SSL must be checked. Click "Add Account"
6. When the import is successful, the pop-up will have a green checkbox and you will be given an option to send as that email address. If you select "No" you can then click "Finish." If you click "Yes" then there will be a few more steps to take as well as an E-mail verification to do.