Thunderbird for Windows
The settings for Thunderbird work the same for computers on and off campus.
NOTE: When setting up your Bowdoin email using Thunderbird, we recommend using IMAP and not Pop. Using IMAP guarantees your email will stay on the email server. This ensures that you can use webmail to view your email from anywhere you have an Internet connection! (Setting up your email using Pop can mean that all of your email gets taken off the email server and moved onto your computer.)
Open the Thunderbird application, click on the “Tools” menu and select “Account Settings...”
1. Incoming Settings:
- In the left column, select "Server Settings".
- In the right frame, next to "Server Name:", type imap.bowdoin.edu.
- Next to "Port:", type 993.
- Next to "User Name:", type your Bowdoin username.
- Under "Security Settings:", check SSL.
2. Outgoing Settings:
- In the left column select “Outgoing Server (SMTP)”
- With your mouse, select “yourusername - smtp.bowdoin.edu (Default)” on the right side of the window
- Click on the “Edit…” button.
- In the SMTP Server window, type “587” in the Port field
- Select the “Use name and password' checkbox”
- Select "STARTTLS" under Security and Authentication. If STARTTLS is not an option then choose “TLS” .
- Click "OK"
- Click "OK."
- Exit Thunderbird.
- Document author:
- Juli Haugen
- Last modified:
- Sep 15, 2010