My Laptop or Celluar Phone was Lost or Stolen
- Report the loss.
- Fill out the Incident Report for IT Security.
- Determine is any Bowdoin restricted data is involved and report immediately to email@example.com.
- If theft is suspected, notify the local police in the jurisdiction where the device was likely lost or stolen.
- Notify Bowdoin Security (207-725-3500). Even if the device was not lost or stolen from campus, it may be returned to Security.
- Notify any device tracking service, if used.
- Change passwords that may have been stored on the device. Change your Bowdoin log-on password.
- Faculty and staff should notify their manager or department head.
- If any of your personal or financial information was stored unencrypted, notify credit agencies, financial institutions, and the social security administration. See Identity Theft section for resources.
If you have lost a personal phone without Bowdoin data, contact your service provider (e.g. AT&T) to report the loss.
Learn about securing your phone with passwords and encryption.
- Document author:
- Last modified:
- Feb 16, 2010