Computer Allocation Process
Hardware, Software and Peripherals
Every regular faculty and staff (FTE) member whose job requires a computer will have:
- A computer not more than four years old
- Monitor (monitors are no longer replaced every 4 years. If you require a new monitor, please submit a CAP request)
- Storage device (eg CD/DVD burner, flash drive, etc)
The following are the new configurations for 2015:
- Macintosh Desktop: iMac, i7 processor, 8GB memory, 1TB hard drive, 21.5" viewable LED screen.
- Macintosh Laptop: Macbook Pro Retina (your choice of 13" or 15" model -- if not specified, 15" will be provided). Intel i7 processor, 8GB memory, 256GB PCIe-based storage. A laptop case will be provided. External monitor, laptop stand, keyboard and mouse available if this is to be used as a primary workstation.
- Windows Desktop: Dell Optiplex 9030 AIO, i7 processor, 8GB memory, 250GB or larger hard drive, DVDRW drive, Windows 7, all-in-one integrated 23" display.
- Windows Laptop: Dell Latitude E6520, i7 processor, 8GB memory, 128GB or larger solid state hard drive, DVDRW drive, 15.6" display, Windows 7. A laptop case will be provided. Docking station available if laptop is to be used as primary workstation.
Please note that actual specifications may be adjusted at the time of purchase, depending upon availability and pricing.
If you want to replace a computer that is less than four years old, please provide a detailed justification.
The following packages are provided by the college on every new machine and do not require special purchasing or requests:
- Windows 7 or Macintosh OSX
- Microsoft Office Professional (Word, Excel, Powerpoint; Access on Windows)
- Mozilla Firefox
- Internet Explorer
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Telnet client
- Antivirus Software
If required for work-related purposes, every regular faculty and staff member whose job requires a computer can request the following:
- Filemaker Pro
- Adobe InDesign
- Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe Acrobat Writer
- Adobe Illustrator
For specialized software other than that listed above, please provide a detailed description and justification.
Peripherals and Upgrades
Every regular faculty and staff member whose job requires a computer can request the following, but a short explanation is required:
- Larger Monitor
- Additional memory
- Flatbed Scanner
- Laser Printer (shared printing should be used whenever possible)
- Digital Camera (still)
- Digital Camera (video)
For peripherals or upgrades other than those listed above, please provide a detailed description and justification.
Requests for Hardware and/or Software of $10,000 or more
The Academic Computing Committee encourages those making requests for substantial resources ($10,000 or more) to seek grants or other sources of funding before applying to the Committee for hardware or software. While the Committee appreciates that this may not always be possible (or successful), it will rank justifications for requests in the context of the following hierarchy:
- Requests to continue teaching and research activities initially funded by other grants (and when the activities have proven essential for ongoing teaching and research)
- Requests to initiate teaching and research activities for which faculty and/or staff have sought other funding.
- Requests which will have an institutional impact on education and/or research.
- Requests which will have a department or program impact.
- Requests which will impact the teaching or research of one faculty member.
- Document author:
- Last modified:
- Jan 13, 2015