Women's Health Services
Health Services provides the following health services for women:
- Routine GYN exams (pap smears, breast exams)
- Screening for STIs (sexually transmitted infections)
- Diagnosis of and treatment for vaginitis
- Counseling and providing birth control
- Emergency contraception*
- Pregnancy counseling (including referrals for abortion)
- Evaluation of and treatment for dysmenorrhea (cramps), amenorrhea (not getting regular periods), as well as other problems
- Nutritional counseling
Services are provided free of charge to students. Please call 725-3770 to schedule an appointment. We also refer students to OB/GYN providers in the community if desired or indicated.
At Health Services, our goal is to significantly increase women's access to Emergency Contraception (also known as "the morning after pill"). Emergency Contraception can be taken up to 72 hours (or longer) after unprotected intercourse but is more effective if it is started right away. The Health Center distributes an emergency contraceptive called Plan B to Bowdoin women students. It is more effective and better tolerated than other Emergency Contraception regimens. Call 725-3770 for an appointment to get Plan B so you have it on hand if you need it.