Confidential HIV antibody testing is available, by appointment, at Health Services free of charge. We require an appointment for testing. We review:
▪ Reliability and timing of the HIV antibody test
▪ Reasons why you are seeking testing
▪ Risks and benefits of testing
▪ How we give you the results
▪ Risk behaviors and safer sex strategies
▪ Further testing recommendations
▪ Referrals for medical care and other support services, if necessary.
The test involves drawing a small tube of blood or obtaining an oral specimen. You may discuss this with your provider at the time of visit.The HIV laboratory test is run at the state lab in Augusta. Results are available in 7 to 10 days.
Please call us at 725-3770 if you have questions or want to make an appointment for HIV antibody testing. Merrymeeting AIDS Support Services is another local resource that provides anonymous testing (using the oral test). They are located at 124 Maine Street in downtown Brunswick and their phone number is 725-4955.
To find out about other HIV antibody testing sites, please call:
▪ The AIDS Project - Phone # 774-6877 or 1-866-701-3897
▪ Portland STD Clinic - Phone # 874-8446