Parents and Families
Women’s Field Hockey — The Bowdoin College field hockey team advanced to their fourth National Championship game in seven seasons with a 4-1 win over Christopher Newport on Friday afternoon in Virginia.
Read the Portland Press Herald’s recap here.
The Polar Bears will play Salisbury on Sunday morning at 10:30 a.m. for its fourth Division III Championship.
Men’s Ice Hockey — Senior Ollie Koo scored just 43 seconds into the game as the Bowdoin College men’s ice hockey team never trailed in a 3-1 win over Colby Friday night at Alfond Rink. The Polar Bears, who have won eight of the last nine meetings between the teams, will host the Mules on Saturday night at Watson Arena.
Bowdoin, along with the Northeast Sports Network, will provide a high-definition broadcast of the game beginning at 7:00 p.m.
Women’s Ice Hockey — Carolyn Fuwa scored the game-winning goal in overtime to lift the Colby College women’s ice hockey team to a 3-2 win over Bowdoin on Friday evening at Watson Arena. The game was the season-opener for the Polar Bears.
On Nov. 21 the Senate changed its rules to limit the use of filibusters for blocking executive and judicial nominees. “This change has been bandied about for more than 50 years, by both parties,” said Professor of Government Andrew Rudalevige. “When southerners were threatening to filibuster over civil rights in 1957, it was clear that this was a possible parliamentary option – to change the rules by a majority vote.”
For most of the 20th century, filibusters were employed relatively rarely and reserved for particularly important issues. They did not necessarily pose an insurmountable impediment because “you had liberal Republicans, you had conservative Democrats, and it was not that uncommon to build cross-party alliances,” Rudalevige said. “It became sort of just part of the lore of the Senate, that every senator could speak as long as they wanted to,” he said.
But filibuster use began to surge toward the end of the 20th century, reaching record highs during the Obama administration and ultimately triggering the change in Senate rules earlier this week. “If the norm is dead, the Democrats figure, why not dance on its grave,” Rudalevige said.
Professor of Government Janet Martin believes that the Senate’s dysfunction would have been better solved with other actions. “The two leaders have reached a point where they are no longer following the informal roles of getting along, and working out deals, and leading their members to compromise.” Martin argued “that a change of leadership would probably be more desirable than ending a process that’s been there to protect minority interest for a long time.”
“I think if anything we’ll see an escalation of procedural war,” Martin said, since there are other procedures besides filibusters that can block action. “The problem is that any of the dilatory actions that will be taken will be less visible because they won’t be understood,” she said, “and it’s not going to be as easy for the Democrats to hold Republicans accountable for the blocking of appointments.”
Despite that risk, Rudalevige said that the Democrats believed they had little to lose in the face of existing opposition - and the looming possibility that the Republicans themselves would carry out the threat of ending filibusters a couple of years down the road. “I think the Democrats decided that the downside was pretty minimal.”
According to the Federal Reserve, there is more than $1.2 trillion worth of paper money in circulation. However, the location of only 15 percent of that money is accounted for in banks or regular, everyday circulation in the U.S. The other 85 percent is missing — and no one knows for sure where it is. This phenomenon is known as the “currency enigma.” The possibilities tell us something about how the economy really works.