Office of Environmental Health and Safety
• Health & Safety Officer - Administer employee training, medical monitoring, and personal protective equipment programs; develop policies and procedures to address current and anticipated life safety issues; respond to faculty, staff, and student concerns; and coordinate campus-wide and department-specific safety programs.
• Environmental Compliance - Prepare and maintain programs, licenses, permits, documentation, and reporting required by environmental regulations; remain apprised of changes to applicable laws and regulations, and assess the effects on College operations; and supervise spill response, due diligence, and site investigation efforts.
• Risk Manager - Manage workplace safety issues, including the investigation and resolution of accidents and incidents, and the development of injury-prevention programs and strategies.
• Chemical Hygiene Officer - Supervise chemical and hazardous materials use, inventory, reduction/pollution prevention efforts, and waste disposal programs.
• Radiation Safety Officer - Administer the licensing, use, storage, and disposal of radioactive materials and equipment used for academic research purposes.
• Institutional Biosafety Officer - Provide oversight on the handling and care of animals used for academic research purposes.
• Committees - Support the activities of the campus safety, chemical hygiene, radiation safety, and animal care and use committees; and form transient committees to aid in the development of specific safety policies and procedures. The Associate Drector of Environmental Health and Safety also works closely with Human Resources to address college-wide concerns, develop wellness programs, and manage worker's compensation issues; and with Sustainable Bowdoin to coordinate waste reduction, recycling, and environmental management efforts.
Bowdoin maintains a comprehensive Environmental Health and Safety program to:
• ensure compliance with state and federal laws and regulations regarding life safety, environmental protection, and labor;
• maintain a safe and healthful workplace for its employees, and learning environment for its students; and
• promote occupational and personal wellness.