Assessment of Fringing Marshes in the Casco Bay Area
Monitoring Water Quality
- Field Book
- Meter Tape
AHEAD OF TIME
- Set up field book with enough random numbers from a calculator to accommodate two for each quadrat (1 for x axis and 1 for y axis).
- Leave enough space in the field book in order to record the length and width of the marsh and to do some calculations.
- Measure marsh length with meter tape and record in field book. Multiply this number by each random number, which gives you the x axis coordinates.
- Measure marsh width with meter tape and record in field book. Multiply this number by each new random number, which gives you the y axis coordinates.
- Put the x and y axis coordinates together and this is the location of each quadrat.
- Place a flag at each coordinate, and record its location.
- Preweigh sediment traps filter papers
- Place filter on flashing with bobby pins
- Place in field with sod staples
- In two weeks remove from field and weigh filter again
We will be measuring surface slope of the marsh. To do this, we will be using a modified carpenter's level.
The other physical test which we will be doing is to take sample of the soil water to measure the salinity. We will supply the water sippers which will test the salinity of the subsoil water.
Plant Biomass and Plant Stem count
This portion of the lab will involve cutting down all of the plant species in a .25m square around the transect sites. These plants will be brought back to the lab to be dried and to be identified.