Faculty-Staff Digest - (01/21/2013
Still room....and lunch is included!
Healthcare 101: How Primary Care & Patients Can Save Healthcare
Tuesday, January 22
12:00pm – 1:00pm
Lancaster Lounge, Moulton Union
Dr. DeMars, Mid Coast Medical Group in Bath, returns to campus for an interactive discussion on how primary care and patients can save healthcare.
• Healthcare costs and drivers: no end in sight for U.S. health expenditures; where does your money go; raising insurance costs; value based purchasing.
• What’s wrong with health care; why are we getting sicker and less healthy?
• How does a PCP choose prescriptions: therapeutic generics vs. true generics; are we an over medicated population?
• What is the medical home, also known as the patient-centered medical home?
• Patient responsibilities: have an agenda; know your numbers (BMI, Cholesterol, Sugar); schedule your preventative screenings; know the cost of tests and medications; engage in shared decision making; set goals to improve your health.
• What’s next… value based insurance design; increased technology; improved screening questions; larger primary team to include care managers, social workers, and health coaches.
Students, spouses and domestic partners are welcome and encouraged to attend. Please sign up through Human Resources x3837. Soup and salad will be provided!