Please read through the following descriptions. If any of the below are true for you, go to the front desk at the Counseling Service. If none of the below apply, but you believe that your situation is still urgent, contact the Counseling Service front desk. For after-hour emergencies, see below.
- I am currently so distressed that I may be unable to keep myself or others safe.
- I have a current plan to attempt suicide or harm someone else.
- I have recently been physically or sexually assaulted.
- Someone close to me has died recently.
- I am having strange experiences such as hearing voices or seeing things that others do not.
- I have knowledge of another person being abused or assaulted.
- I have had a severe reaction to a psychiatric medication.
- I have witnessed a traumatic event within the last few days.
- I have been unable to attend classes because of severe depression or anxiety.
For emergency issues that demand immediate attention, we reserve an emergency hour at or near the end of the day, Monday-Friday. Our general policy requires scheduling of an appointment in advance; while this is not necessary for the emergency hour, please call us at 725-3145 in advance of your arrival if at all possible.
While the college is in session, a counselor is on-call to respond to any psychologically related emergency that occurs after business hours (5:00 pm - 8:30 am) and on the weekends. To reach the counselor, please call Bowdoin Security at 725-3500 and ask to speak with the "on-call" counselor. The counselor will then call you back to assist with the emergency. Calls to security are recorded and logged, but you do not need to identify yourself when requesting to speak to the counselor on-call.