Foreign Language Project
The Bowdoin College Children’s Center is soliciting applicants for its Spring Foreign Languages Internship Project, providing foreign language immersion for children between 2.5 -5 years old. Students commit as little as 2 and up to 5 hours per week to either the older toddler or preschool classroom, exposing young children to a second language through stories, rhymes, conversation and song. We are open to all world languages, and wish to identify students who have native or near-native fluency in their language(s).
Students are expected to:
- Prepare brief weekly lesson plans ahead of classroom visits that identify songs and/or rhymes to shared as well as the title of books to be read with class
- Plan an optional cultural celebration (as appropriate) connected to the language in collaboration with the director
- Meet weekly with other interns and the director to discuss curriculum, children’s experiences, and questions that arise
- Commit to weekly time engaging the classroom on schedule agreed upon by applicant and center
Students will gain:
- Knowledge of designing early childhood foreign language curriculum with College faculty and professionals
- Experience working with young children in an accredited early childhood education center
- Experience and support for future jobs, internships or programs relating to foreign language pedagogy and/or early childhood education
Interested applicants should email Anne Adams (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Martha Eshoo (email@example.com). Please include titles of relevant courses taken at Bowdoin, the language(s) you speak, and other related personal or professional experience.
*Anne Adams is on maternity leave for the 2016 Spring Semester, contact Martha in her absence.