Policies Concerning Off-Campus Study

The Chemistry Department is committed to supporting majors who are considering an off-campus study experience during their time at Bowdoin.  We encourage all majors planning to take courses counting toward the Chemistry major while studying away to consult with their Chemistry Department advisor and/or Chair early in the process of selecting their study-away site and courses.  While we recommend that students take all of the core courses for each of the chemistry major concentrations while on campus, we are committed to working with students to find courses that are appropriate for our major while leveraging the resources of the off-campus study site.  We suggest students pay attention to the following: 

  1. The Chemistry major can require 13 or more courses.  In addition, some courses are offered Fall only (e.g., Chem 2100) or Spring only (Chem 2400), some courses have prerequisites from other departments (e.g., Chem 2510 and 2520 require Math 1700 and Physics 1104), and some advanced electives are offered alternate years (e.g., Chem 3100).  Therefore, students intending to major in chemistry and study-away are required plan their schedule in consultation with their advisor or the department Chair, preferably during their sophomore year.
  2. Careful planning is particularly important for students considering advanced independent studies towards Honors in Chemistry during their senior year.  Students should consult with their prospective independent study advisors before studying away.
  3. Students need preapproval of courses that could count towards the major before they begin off-campus study.  Students should obtain sufficient documentation (e.g., detailed syllabi for the lecture and laboratory) about the proposed courses well in advance of studying away. Students should then make course preapproval requests to the department Chair; the Chair will consult with chemistry faculty members teaching similar courses at Bowdoin to obtain a recommendation for preapproval. 
  4. Upon return from study-away, students should meet with the Chemistry Department Chair and confirm final approval for courses taken while off-campus.  For final approval, the students should have copy of the final syllabus and other relevant course material.
  5. Actual Bowdoin credit equivalents are determined by the Registrar’s office.