The regular instruction of the College is supplemented each year by lectures, panel discussions, and other presentations sponsored by the various endowment funds, departments of study, and undergraduate organizations. As of June 30, 2014, these funds included:
John Warren Achorn Lectureship (1928): The income of a fund established by Mrs. John Warren Achorn as a memorial to her husband, a member of the Class of 1879, is used for lectures or courses in the field of ornithology or by the Department of Biology.
Charles F. Adams Lectureship (1978): The income of a fund established by the bequest of Charles F. Adams 1912 is used to support lectures and courses in the fields of government and education.
Beecher-Stowe Family Memorial Fund (1994): The income of a fund established as a memorial to Harriet Beecher Stowe, author of Uncle Tom's Cabin; her husband, Calvin Ellis Stowe (Class of 1824), Elizabeth Collins Professor of Natural and Revealed Religion at the College from 1850 to 1852; and her brother, Charles Beecher (Class of 1834), by Harold Beecher Noyes, great-grandson of Charles Beecher, is used to support lectures or courses in the field of religion or human rights.
Brodie Family Lecture Fund (1997): Established by Theodore H. Brodie ’52, an overseer of the College from 1983 to 1995, this fund is used to bring to campus at least once a year a speaker of note in the field of education, to deliver a message on the subjects of problems and practices of teaching and learning.
Tom Cassidy Lectureship (1991): The income of a fund established by the bequest of Thomas J. Cassidy ’72 and memorial gifts of his family, friends, and classmates is used to support a lectureship in journalism.
The Harold and Iris Chandler Lectureship Fund (2001): Established by family and friends in memory of Dr. Harold L. Chandler of the Class of 1934, the income from this fund is used for lectures, with a preference for lectures on the use of the arts and technology to enhance teaching and learning in the humanities, and to sponsor other events including, but not limited to, art exhibitions, seminars, and presentations in the Library's Chandler Room.
Dan E. Christie Mathematics Lecture Fund (1976): Established by family, friends, colleagues, and former students in memory of Dan E. Christie ’37, a member of the faculty for thirty-three years and Wing Professor of Mathematics from 1965 until his death in 1975, this fund is used to support lectures, courses, or research in the field of mathematics.
Annie Talbot Cole Lectureship (1907): This fund, established by Mrs. Calista S. Mayhew in memory of her niece, Annie Talbot Cole, is used to sponsor a lectureship that contributes to the ennoblement and enrichment of life by standing for the idea that life is a glad opportunity. It shall, therefore, exhibit and endeavor to make attractive the highest ideals of character and conduct, and also, insofar as possible, foster an appreciation of the beautiful as revealed through nature, poetry, music, and the fine arts.
John C. Donovan Lecture Fund (1990): Established by colleagues, friends, and members of the Donovan family, through the leadership of Shepard Lee ’47, this fund is used to support a lecture in the field of political science.
Corydon Dunham Open Forum Fund (2007): The annual income of the Fund, established by Corydon B. Dunham Jr. ’47, is used to educate students to the First Amendment values of Free Press and Free Speech, in the process promoting the sense of community and learning at the College through special speakers, courses, open forums, panel discussions, lectures, receptions, and other events underscoring the First Amendment values so vital to maintaining and nurturing an informed citizenry in a democratic society.
Elliott Oceanographic Fund (1973): Established by the Edward Elliott Foundation and members of the Elliott family in memory of Edward L. Elliott, a practicing geologist and mining engineer who expressed a lifelong interest in science and the sea, this fund promotes oceanographic education, in its widest definition, for Bowdoin students. Part of the fund may be used to support the Elliott Lectures in Oceanography, which were inaugurated in 1971.
Alfred E. Golz Lecture and Fellowship Fund (1970): Established by Ronald A. Golz ’56 in memory of his father, this fund is used to support a lecture by an eminent historian or humanitarian to be scheduled close to the November 21 birthday of Alfred E. Golz. During years when additional funds are available, supports Golz Fellowships encouraging Bowdoin history majors and minors to pursue summer research fellowships of internships.
Cecil T. and Marion C. Holmes Mathematics Lecture Fund (1977): Established by friends, colleagues, and former students to honor Cecil T. Holmes, a member of the faculty for thirty-nine years and Wing Professor of Mathematics, this fund is used to support lectures, courses, or research in the field of mathematics.
Karofsky Family Fund (2000): Supported by the Karofsky Family Fund established by Peter S. Karofsky, M.D., ’62, Paul I. Karofsky ’66, and David M. Karofsky ’93 in 1992, these funds support the Sydney B. Karofsky Award for Junior Faculty and the Karofsky Faculty Encore Lectures. The Karofsky Faculty Encore Lectures feature one member of the Bowdoin faculty each semester selected by members of the senior class to speak at Common Hour.
Arnold D. Kates Lecture Fund (2000): Established by Mark B. Garnick, M.D., ’68, a Trustee Emeritus of the College, and Dr. Barbara Kates-Garnick, this fund is used to support periodic lectures, seminars, or colloquia at Bowdoin on scientific topics, with a preference for topics in the biological sciences or aspects related to the health sciences.
Robert J. Kemp Lectureship Fund (2002): Established by Robert J. Kemp, a member of the Class of 1951, to provide support for the Department of History to sponsor speakers and lecturers, including those in the field of geopolitics.
Kibbe Science Lecture Fund (1994): This fund, established by Frank W. Kibbe ’37 and his wife, Lucy K. Kibbe, is used to support lectures by visiting scholars on topics deemed to be on the cutting edge of or associated with new developments or research findings in the fields of Astronomy or Geology.
Lesbian and Gay Lectureship Fund (1992): Established by members of the Bowdoin Gay and Lesbian Alumni/ae Association, this fund is used to sponsor at least one lecture annually in the field of gay and lesbian studies.
Mayhew Lecture Fund (1923): Established by Mrs. Calista S. Mayhew, this fund is used in part to provide lectures or courses in the field of ornithology or by the Department of Biology.
Lindsey Fund for Guest Lecturers (2009): Established by Lawrence B. Lindsey, a magna cum laude graduate of the Bowdoin Class of 1976 and recipient of a Ph.D. in economics from Harvard University, this fund supports guest lecturers at the College who will bring a diversity of viewpoints, fresh perspectives, and novel approaches to the curriculum and the College community.
Charles Weston Pickard Lecture Fund (1961): The income of a fund established by John Coleman Pickard ’22 in memory of his grandfather, a member of the Class of 1857, is used to support lectures, courses, or research in the fields of journalism, communication, or public relations.
Kenneth V. Santagata Memorial Fund (1982): Established by family and friends of Kenneth V. Santagata ’73, this fund is used to provide one lecture each semester, rotating in the arts, humanities, and social sciences, with lecturers to be recognized authorities in their respective fields, to present new, novel, or nonconventional approaches to the designated topic in the specified category. Income in excess of lecture expenses may be awarded to Bowdoin undergraduates with preference given to those who major in Government and Legal Studies.
Edith Lansing Koon Sills Lecture Fund (1962): This fund was established by the Society of Bowdoin Women to honor Mrs. Kenneth C. M. Sills, the wife of a former president of Bowdoin College, and to sponsor lectures by outstanding women. The fund also supports a yearly prize to an outstanding student in Gender and Women’s Studies.
The Harry Spindel Memorial Lectureship (1977): Established by the gift of Rosalyne Spindel Bernstein H’97 and the late Sumner Thurman Bernstein in memory of her father, Harry Spindel, as a lasting testimony to his lifelong devotion to Jewish learning, this fund is used to support annual lectures in Judaic studies or contemporary Jewish affairs.
The Jasper Jacob Stahl Lectureship in the Humanities (1970): Established by the bequest of Jasper Jacob Stahl 1909, Litt.D. ’60, this fund is used to support lectures or courses encompassing the Art, Life, Letters, Philosophy, or Culture, in the broadest sense, of the Ancient Hebraic World, or of the Ancient Greek World or of the Roman World, or of the Renaissance in Italy and Europe, or of the Age of Elizabeth I in England, or that of Louis XIV and the Enlightenment in France, or of the era of Goethe in Germany.
Tallman Lecture Fund (1928): Established by Frank G. Tallman, A.M. H’35, as a memorial to the Bowdoin members of his family, this fund is used to support visiting lecturers and visiting professors.
Phyllis Marshall Watson Fund (2000): Established by Cheryl McAuley and Sheila Marshall Walton in honor of their friend and sister, respectively. Income from the fund provides research support for honors candidates in the history department, and supports periodic lectures, seminars, or colloquia at Bowdoin on selected topics in history.