Academics – Academic Requirements For the Degree
To qualify for the bachelor of arts degree, a student must have:
- Successfully passed thirty-two full-credit courses (or the equivalent);
- Spent four semesters (successfully passed sixteen credits) in residence, at least two semesters of which have been during the junior and senior years;
- By the end of the second semester in college, completed a first-year seminar;
- Completed at least one full-credit course (or the equivalent) in each of the following five distribution areas—mathematical, computational, or statistical reasoning; inquiry in the natural sciences; exploring social differences; international perspectives; and visual and performing arts; these should normally be completed by the end of the fourth semester in college;
- Completed at least one full-credit course (or the equivalent) in each of the following three divisions of the curriculum—natural science and mathematics, social and behavioral sciences, and humanities (in addition to the required course in the visual and performing arts); and
- Completed an approved major.
- No student will ordinarily be permitted to remain at Bowdoin for more than nine semesters of full-time work.
Courses of Instruction