Faculty Professional Conference Travel Fund
The faculty travel program, administered by the Office of the Dean for Academic Affairs, is intended to support the instructional purposes of the College by enabling faculty members to participate regularly in meetings of learned societies.
The allowance is $1,200 for each benefits-eligible faculty member. As in previous years, those who give papers or serve as panelists may request reimbursement of 100% of all eligible expenses, up to the maximum; others may request 80%.
Faculty participating at either a conference held outside the U.S. or more than one conference in an academic year (July - June) are eligible to request an $800 supplement to their travel allotment (bringing the total funding to $2,000.) For supplemental funds click here for the Travel Enhancement Request Form. This form must be submitted prior to the travel that will be funded by the supplement.
Faculty members may also submit proposals to the Faculty Development Committee to support conference travel in excess of what is available from the dean's office.
Faculty members in the instructional ranks may apply to the dean’s office for reimbursement of conference travel expenses under the following conditions (prior approval is not required):
- Benefits-eligible faculty members in the instructional ranks will have an annual travel allowance of $1,200. For faculty who do not request additional funding, the unexpended balance of their travel allowance in year 1 may be applied to eligible expenses in year 2. Travel allowances are not transferable.
- Those who present papers, serve as discussants or panelists, or participate as officers or members of association committees may request reimbursement of up to 100% of their expenses for any trip. Others may request 80% of the total.
- Eligible expenses include the costs of transportation by the most economical available means, lodging, meals, and conference registration fees.
- Bowdoin College has selected Hurley Travel as its exclusive travel agency to provide air travel services, car rentals, hotel reservations and rail services for faculty and staff. You will not be charged a booking or agent fee when you book College travel through Hurley Travel.
- Faculty members should request reimbursement using Certify. Please use the faculty conference code which is 220040 and select the appropriate faculty conference account code. This account code will prompt you to select either 100% or 80% eligibility. The mileage rate for travel after January 1, 2015 is $0.575. The College requires that all expenses over $50 be documented by an itemized receipt. Those traveling by air should attach to the reimbursement form the original passenger receipt for your flight, even if direct-billed by Hewins or American Express.
- Requests for reimbursement are to be made within 60 days from the date of the expense(s), and in all cases must be received in the same fiscal year in which the conference takes place. Trips that straddle fiscal years may be reimbursed in either year.
Please contact Kathi Lucas in the Office of the Dean for Academic Affairs (ext 3065; email: firstname.lastname@example.org) with questions.