Harvey Dow Gibson Hall of Music


« previous tour stop   |   introduction   |   next tour stop »

Gibson Hall

Gibson Hall (1954) was designed by McKim, Mead and White, the noted firm that also designed the Bowdoin College Museum of Art next to Gibson, and the former Curtis Pool Building (now Studzinski Recital Hall) across the Quad. Gibson Hall was calculated to harmonize with the Walker Art Building.

The Gibson Salon, used as a student lounge, features carved walnut paneling from an eighteenth-century Parisian music salon, designed in 1724 by Jean Lassurance for the Hôtel de Sens.


The Harvey Dow Gibson Hall of Music

This building houses the Department of Music, the music library, practice rooms, an electronic music lab, and the 70-seat Tillotson Room, which is used as a recital hall and classroom. The new Studzinski Recital Hall and the Chapel, across the Quad, are also primary venues used by the department.

The department has more than twenty grand pianos, two harpsichords, two pipe organs, and small collections of early-music instruments, West African drums, and Asian string instruments, all available for use by students. The College recently purchased two new Steinway grand pianos.

There are many ways to get involved in music above and beyond the departmental courses that are offered. The Department of Music oversees a wide variety of performance groups, including chorus, chamber choir, the World Music Ensemble, the Middle Eastern Ensemble, jazz ensembles, chamber ensembles, a concert band, and an orchestra. There are also six student-run a cappella groups. Students can take private lessons on an instrument or in voice, either through the department for credit or independently. The department also sponsors renowned visiting artists, master classes, and residencies each year.

« previous tour stop   |   introduction   |   next tour stop »